The Waukegan Arts Council invites you to be part of one of the most exciting and diverse arts communities along the shore of Lake Michigan. Building on its rich cultural history, Waukegan has been home to scores of writers, actors, artists and musicians who have gone on to fame and fortune, including Ray Bradbury and Jack Benny.
Come and experience a wide variety of quality literary, performing and visual arts programming among Waukegan’s many long-standing and emerging arts and cultural venues. Throughout the year, residents and visitors can enjoy performances, festivals, film screenings, concerts, art exhibitions, classes, workshops and more.
The Waukegan Arts Council is a non-profit organization which serves as an umbrella arts and cultural organization for the community. Our mission is to be a catalyst for advancing the economic, social, and cultural life of Waukegan through the arts. Working closely with local businesses, elected officials, artists and arts organizations, our goal is to make Waukegan a better place to live, work and play.
“To serve as a catalyst to advance the economic, social and cultural life of Waukegan through the arts.”
- Encourages collaboration, and coordinates activities for local artists and arts organizations;
- Develops and coordinates promotional tools in partnership with other agencies to communicate arts and culture-related activities to area residents and visitors;
- Advocates the arts to ensure a vital cultural presence essential for Waukegan’s economic health;
- Forms strategic partnerships to provide sustainable funding necessary for a vibrant, diverse arts community;
- Potentially, re-grants funds to local artists and arts organizations; and
- In the future, we hope to achieve lead agency status in promoting and providing arts in Waukegan.